Heartland’s prepaid energy option gives members direct control of their power use and bill. The plan allows members to “pay-as-you-go” on their electricity, paying as much and as often as they like. As the name implies, Heartland members will pay for energy use in advance. Benefits include:
- No deposits
- No credit check
- No late fees
- No collection or cutoff fees
- No monthly electric bill
How does a prepaid service work?
With a prepaid account, you pay in advance for your electric usage. There is no difference in the rate you pay. No deposit is required. You start your account by paying a minimum of $25 to establish funds in your account. If you already have an account with Heartland, any deposit on your account can be applied to your prepaid account. Each day we charge your account for the prior day’s usage and charges, reducing the funds in your account. You can pay as little or as much as you choose, as often as you choose. All you need to do is make sure you always have funds in your account. Because the level of funds in your account changes every day, no paper bill will be sent.
How do I know what my balance is? And what options do I have to pay my bill?
Members can get their account balance and pay their bill through the following:
- On-line at www.heartland-rec.com, click on Pay My Bill and Account Access, 24 hours a day
- SmartHub app on your smartphone
- By phone at (888) 999-5517, 24 hours a day
- By contacting our office at (800) 835-9586 during business hours
Payments can also be made by:
- Mailing payment to our office at PO Box 40, Girard, KS 66743. (Not recommended due to unpredictability of mail delivery dates)
- Night drop boxes in Girard, Mound City, and Iola. (See locations here)
- Please note that payments left in the night drop box will not be applied to your account until the morning of the next business day.
What if I let my funds run out?
On the morning that your funds run out, you qualify to be disconnected. Disconnections will occur around 11:00am that day. No disconnections will occur on weekends or holidays. A disconnected account will be reconnected automatically once a payment is made that is sufficient to place funds back in the account. We recommend paying online or through our automated phone system for fastest reconnection 24 hours a day. You can also pay in person at one of our offices during office hours. Payments made to our night drop boxes will not be posted until the morning of the next working day, so the reconnection would not occur until that time.
Can I be notified when my balance is low?
The member can sign up to receive email or text notifications when their balance is getting low by going to the SmartHub section of our website, registering their account, and clicking on Notifications. These notifications are a courtesy, and we cannot guarantee they will be received by the member. The member is ultimately responsible to check their balance and make sufficient payments to avoid being disconnected.
What if I want to return to a regular billed account?
You can switch back at any time. You may be required to pay a deposit, depending on your past payment history at Heartland and/or results of a credit report. Any funds in your account will remain a credit under traditional billing until your next bill is created.
How can I switch to prepaid service?
- Complete and submit the Prepaid Service Election Form (linked below)
- Sign up for email and/or text notifications through SmartHub on our website
- Use SmartHub to view your account balance and usage history
- We recommend keeping at least a week’s worth of billing in your account at all times to avoid disconnection